Fast Jambalaya Recipe
with Chicken Sausage and Beans
This fast jambalaya recipe can be made in 30 minutes from start to finish and can easily feed my family of five with leftovers the next day. The chicken apple is a healthier choice and the beans are inexpensive, adding fiber, nutrition and substance to this meal. We don’t eat much rice in our regular
healthy diet plan,
but the Jambalaya adds variety to our diet.
In the spirit of full disclosure, Zatarain’s Reduced Sodium Jambalaya Mix does contain MSG (monosodium glutamate). I only use half of the red seasoning ‘clump” that comes in the Jambalaya Mix Bag which eliminates some of the MSG and keeps the dish from being too spicy for my kids.
Don't want any MSG in your diet? Try the Zatarains Reduced Sodium Red Beans and Rice instead. It contains no MSG. I use the entire seasoning package and a total of 3 1/4 cups water as my substitutions to the recipe below. You can adjust the water to make it less "saucy".
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 box Zatarain’s Reduced Sodium Jambalaya Mix or Reduced Sodium Red Beans and Rice Mix
4 links (12 oz) of cooked chicken apple sausage in ¼ inch slices (We use Aidells purchased in bulk at Costco and stored in the freezer.)
1 can black beans, drained
1 can kidney beans drained
1 cup frozen corn, still frozen (optional)
1 cup chopped red bell pepper (optional)
1. In a large skillet, combine 2 ¾ cups water (or 3 1/4 cups water if using the Red Beans and Rice) and 1 tablespoon olive, bring to a boil
2. Pour in the spice mix bag, and half of the red seasoning “clump” for the kid friendly version, or put in the whole spice mix bag and entire red seasoning clump for the spicier adult version.
Add the entire seasoning bag if using the Red Beans and Rice Mix.
3. Return mixture to a boil
4. Let boil for 15 minutes.
5. Add black beans, kidney beans, optional corn and optional bell pepper to rice mixture. Return to boil for another 5 minutes.
6. Add cooked sausage and return to boil for a final five minutes. If rice looks too dry, add an additional ¼ cup water. Rice should be plump and tender when done.
7. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff and serve.
Return from Fast Jambalaya to Chicken Recipes